Culinary program at Apollo Career Center in partnership with Rhodes State College
Rhodes State College and Apollo Career Center are excited to announce our rollout of the new Associate of Applied Science Degree in Culinary Arts!
This degree is designed to meet American Culinary Federation accreditation and National Restaurant Association certification and prepares students to be certified Culinarians for employment as food service workers, cooks and potentially Chefs in restaurants, hotels, country clubs, and other food service establishments. Students are trained in hands on culinary and baking laboratories where students will practice their skills in quantity food preparation techniques. The degree also includes general education requirements, management training, safety and sanitation training, purchasing, marketing, menu design, nutrition, supervision and labor/food cost control.
Upon completion of this degree the student will be able to:
- Assess safety and sanitation in the food service industry
- Prove their ability to operate, clean and sanitize professional culinary equipment
- Synthesize their knowledge to manage, coach, and supervise a team of culinary professionals
- Integrate time management skills into daily activities
- Recommend fiscally responsible practices with regards to food and labor costs; inventory control and purchasing practices
- Generate effective written and verbal communications
- Conclude mathematical calculations required by the food service industry
- Assemble correctly measured and weighed ingredients in the culinary lab
- Develop proficiency in the quantity production of cold and hot food preparation
This degree will expand educational pathways for vocational, secondary and CCP students. This new program will provide a pathway for students to achieve an associate of science degree and enter the workforce with a nationally recognized credential. The JobsOhio Network predicts a 10.7% increase in culinary –related employment opportunities in Northwest Ohio through the year 2020. A partnership between Rhodes State College, Apollo Career Center and Lima City Schools provides the College with full kitchen and dining room access.
|1st Year||2nd Year|
|English Composition||Corporate Accounting Principles|
|Computer Applications in the Workplace||Public Speaking|
|Introduction to Culinary Arts||Food and Beverage Cost Controls|
|Food Service Sanitation/Safety||Food Preparation II|
|Food Preparation I||Garde Manger|
|Team Building or Team Leadership||Dining Room Service|
|First Year Experience|
|General Psychology||Culinary Practicum|
|Meats, Fish, and Poultry||Culinary Arts Capstone|
|Introduction to Baking and Pastry||Culinary Seminar|
|Quantitative Reasoning||Principles of Management|
|Nutrition and Menu Planning||Customer Relations and Public Relations|
|Class Times- at Apollo||5:30 PM (MAY VARY)|
|Total Credit Hrs (2 yrs)||ASSOCIATE DEGREE|
All Related Classes and Labs will be held at Apollo Career Center.
Academic / Prerequisite classes will be held at Rhodes State College.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PROGRAM, CONTACT
Dr. Ken Baker
Dean, Division of Business, Technology and Public Service
Assistant Director of Admissions, International Student PDSO